Thursday, February 05, 2015

Minor or Major?

No, I am not referencing the sounds of chords although maybe there is some sort of psychological association somewhere in the comparison. I am referencing today's surgery on my thumb. Last summer when picking up a table, it slipped a little and landed on the soft part at the bottom of my left thumb. Feeling something different, I decided not to worry about it and go on. The next few days I was a little sore but nothing serious. Time, however, dealt a different blow as arthritis set in to the thumb due to the previous trauma. Eventually the cartilage quit doing its job to keep the bones in the joint from rubbing on the bones. Now many months later it is time for surgery.

The doctor mentioned it was a minor surgery but did say that to a patient it feels major. Not sure what I think about whether it is minor or major but I do know it is involved. After watching a youtube video explaining how the surgery works, I do feel more informed and somewhat fascinated with the process. First the trapezium bones are removed, followed by a hole being drilled in the thumb. Next an incision is made in the wrist to allow the removal of a tendon. The tendon is then moved to the hole in the thumb where it threads through and around the bone. The leftover tendon is then rolled into a tight pack where it is placed in the joint to prevent the bones from being on the bones.

It all sounds easy and will take about an hour followed by 6-8 weeks of recovery in a cast of some sort. The added problem of my thick blood which requires constant thinning with medication is of concern due to the need for proper coagulation. This means I take shots in the stomach for 5 days prior to surgery and 5 days afterward. The only real danger is the day of surgery where I have no blood thinners in me for several hours. But there is no other choice and I just have to hope for the best.

In a couple of months the thumb should feel fine and I will be back to normal (whatever that means!). Returning to the question, is this minor or major? I think it is exactly what the surgeon told me, minor to him and major to me!

No comments: