Thursday, February 06, 2014

A rare personal story

Uncomfortable sharing personal stories related to health, I have decided to allow a little vulnerability to enter my blog with the idea that this entry may be a benefit to someone else. Without going into great and unnecessary detail, on January 6 I went to the Emergency Room at 4:00 a.m. due to extreme abdominal pain. After several tests, the physician in charge informed me of a deep vein thrombosis in my mesenteric vein, which I was later told is a very rare condition. In other words I had a blood clot. Not fully understanding the difficulty of this problem, I believe my first reaction was one of confusion, after all, what is a blood clot and why would it contribute to abdominal pain?

Keep in mind I had never been in the ER before and in fact had never spent any time in hospital other than visiting friends and family. I am 53 years old, in good shape, generally healthy, aside from an occasional ear infection and the beginnings of arthritis, and lead the life of an academic who enjoys the outdoors and being productive. When the doctor informed me of the blood clot, I recalled my time at the bodies exhibit in Dallas when I learn about the 60,000 plus miles of blood vessels in our bodies and thought one little clot was insignificant. Yet when he informed me I was in an emergency situation and would be transported immediately to Scott & White for surgery, I realized things were serious. By this time, I was more or less fuzzy with pain-killers and had trouble checking into reality completely. Soon I was strapped down on a gurney, loaded into an ambulance and headed down the highway. Still in pain mixed with pain killers, it was difficult to process what was happening.

The trip was fairly short, although I admit it is difficult to remember very well. I do recall the attendant telling someone that "the patient is calm, cooperative, and has a high tolerance for pain." I tried to get her attention to tell her she was completely wrong, but things were happening so fast by this time that I was not sure where I was much less anyone else. After some more painkillers, I recall a room where people moved quickly including nurses, attendants, physicians, and finally surgeons. One doctor asked me several questions that I had trouble processing. Luckily my wife and mother were near to clarify the confusion. The surgical team came in and said the blood clot was very deep, in a sensitive place, and that surgery would be possible but difficult and posed serious risk. In addition, the recovery time would be extensive. They recommended dealing with it medically rather than surgically. Soon I was admitted to the hospital and taken to the top floor where I spent the next six days as a human pin cushion. I had two IVs, blood taken from both arms many times, and lots of terms I could not comprehend. The first three days are hazy as I spent them on painkillers. By the fourth day, I could carry on a conversation and actually remember it. The meds were aggressively dealing with keeping the internal organs alive while working to dissolve the blood clot.

I was released after six days, came home, and went to work the next day. But for one week I gave myself two shots per day in the stomach and remained on a liquid diet. Now 4 weeks later, I am still on blood thinners and checking my levels periodically at the lab. We hope the clot dissolves within the next few months or that the body adjusts itself to the different blood flow. On the downside, if the clot decides to move to a different location, the result could be devastating. I now feel great, have lost nearly 20 pounds (needed to), and have my energy back. Yet I am well aware of the dangerous situation I was in and, in a way, still am in at this time.

In spite of the concern, I am keenly committed to living my life fully each day with energy, optimism, kindness, and productivity. Looking at things a little differently, but not dramatically so, each day is a special gift and not one to waste nor to take for granted. There is much to do and much to learn, many things to accomplish and many ways to make a difference in the world. Mainly I am ever more thankful for my family, friends, doctors, job, church, and the Lord who makes all things possible. May the journey continue!

No comments: