Thursday, December 19, 2013

The World of Music

Having completed my Masters of Business Administration, it is now time to start blogging again. Knowing there are very few readers of my blog, mostly due to the hiatus of nearly 2 years, I feel led to express my thoughts regardless of the readership. Several lofty goals are rolling around in my head for the future including writing two books, pursuing some licenses, starting a rock band (okay, I know that is absurd), and investing in some kind of venture. But for now, let's just talk about music.

Audra McDonald is simply fantastic in the recent staged version of Sound of Music. To me, the classic song "Climb Every Mountain" has become a little bit stale over the last several years. A good song, its blocked chords and lack of rhythmic variety has prevented it from becoming a staple in the broadway repertoire. As I listen to the various songs in the recent Sound of Music, the performance of Climb Every Mountain stands out. Not unlike the stunning performance of On My Own by Samantha Barks in Les Miserables, Audra McDonald sings with great energy, intensity, and expression. A great singer does not sing at the notes and shrug off the text but, instead, applies meaning to each syllable, connecting the text and music in a bold expression of emotion. Audra McDonald does all this and more as she is both authentic and convincing in her performance. The power of her voice and her ability to turn a phrase while communicating the text made me want to jump up and conquer every mountain I find!

Recently discovering the songs of Reynaldo Hahn, I have been listening to Susan Graham sing these marvelous songs. A touch simplistic, they are still very beautiful with mesmerizing expression and moments of peaceful, serene joy. Both sublime and appealing, Hahn's music is the right recipe at the end of a stressful day. Not unlike Benjamin Britten's British folk songs, Reynaldo Hahn's songs have qualities that make them accessible to all people while retaining the qualities often associated with art music.

Speaking of sublime, I got in a discussion with an art teacher over the value of Lucien Freud's art. She made the statement that his art is sublime without being pleasant. Thinking that through, I am in full agreement with this statement. His art is disturbing and almost disgusting to me in a way, but at the same time, it seems to reach beyond the obvious and into the depth of what it means to be human. The discussion reminds me to avoid the trappings of seeing art and hearing music in its superficialities. Great art requires time to absorb and such is true of the art of Lucien Freud.

The song Roar by Katy Perry continues to be enjoyed by all (okay, most) and I find it compositionally interesting. It has some nice elision of phrases, a prevalent usage of pentatonic scales, and some rhythmic displacement of accents. Add to the music a solid performance by a fine pop singer, and you have a hit! It really is a zingy song and somehow always puts a smile on my face and provides a sense of confidence and power. In short, it is an inspiring song. Nearly as appealing but in an edgier style is Applause by Lady Gaga. Her voice is captivating and the variety within the song, including range changes and melodic leaps, gives it a lasting appeal. Probably not for everyone, Lady Gaga continues to reach audiences with her antics and pop musical depth.

But no essay on music can leave out my continued admiration for the music of Johannes Brahms. In spite of my enjoyment of rock and pop music, I always find myself listening to Brahms and admiring his craft and expression. Every time I hear the last movement of Symphony No. 2, I end up ranking it among the greatest works of the 19th century (Beethoven's Violin Concerto in the group as well). And I still enjoy the grand symphonies of Gustav Mahler and the tone poems of Richard Strauss. Who can criticize the late works of master composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart? His last few operas are among the greatest works of the classical era.

Back to rock...Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Styx, Bon Jovi, Stevie Wonder along with another dozen or so remain appealing. Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man) by the Styx is a blast and I have yet to hear a song by Stevie Wonder that I didn't like. Over in the Christian world, I am a big fan of the music of Keith Getty with his nice blend of hymns and choruses. Chris Tomlin is not necessarily my favorite performer, but he sure writes a singable song and continues to sing and write outstanding music in those circles.

Okay, enough pontificating about music. I am probably one of the most eclectic musicians in the business!

No comments: