Saturday, May 25, 2013

Church Music Thoughts

About to go for a run followed by getting ready for church, I am full of complex thoughts on music in society and church in particular. Adopting a utilitarian philosophy of church music, I do try to retain my sincerest optimism for the role of music in our culture in both secular and sacred contexts. Sound exists as a rule in our world, and music, a result of a certain organization of sound, is a pervasive entity in virtually every part of cultural activity, earning a place beyond that of entertainment and nearly to a necessity. Music is a vital part of our society, affecting all ages and all types of people, equalizing the classes, finding the educated and uneducated, and melding all types of cultures together.

As an outspoken advocate for music as the great peacemaker, bringing together the masses and the individuals in a bold expression of unification, I often find myself at odds with my own belief system in music. After all, shouldn't I then like everything? But in liking everything, am I in danger of liking nothing by virtue of mediocrity of preference? Furthermore, the musical worldview of total acceptance somehow augers against my experience and training in music. Am I not an expert, at least to an extent? But does my "expertise" work against my globalization and vast tolerance? Hidden beneath these questions is a murky form of bipolar disorder in music called "psychological bitonality"! (decided to pitch a little humor for the musicians reading this entry).

I will admit that these mental meanderings about musical acceptance, mediocrity, training, sound, and other lofty thoughts are making me tired. For the church service I am about to lead, I chose two older hymns (just can't bring myself to use the word traditional), one recent chorus, 3 older chorus that some would consider hymns, and then a simple scripture song. Will these do the trick? Should worship be a trick? Will people hold their scorecard in their hand and give me low marks or high marks? Do I want to worry about it?

I believe that whatever music is sung or experienced in church should be about worshiping God. But, admittedly, I am sensitive to the truth that not all music allows all people to worship God. Some people cannot get past the problems of having to sing music not in their preference base. Recognizing this, at times I wonder if church music leaders ought to post a sign outside the church saying what the music will include. Such as: TODAY IN THE SERVICE WE WILL USE THE ORGAN ON TWO OLDER HYMNS FOLLOWED BY THE DRUMS AND GUITARS ON TWO NEW FAST CHORUSES. WE WILL THEN BRING IN THE PIANO FOR SOME OLDER CHORUSES THAT ARE SLOW AND PRETTY.  FOR THE OFFERTORY, WE WILL SING JUST AS I AM WITH ONLY PIANO AND ORGAN. WE WILL END THE SERVICE WITH A GOSPEL SONG AND USE DRUMS AND GUITARS ALONG WITH PIANO AND ORGAN. PLEASE ATTEND IF MOST OF THIS IS IN YOUR PREFERENCE LIST!

I'm sure the preacher would be very supportive of such an approach to the worship service! Kidding aside, I do spend quite a bit of effort in worship planning and always pray that the music will not be a deterrent to a worshipful experience for everyone. When music polarizes people, it is not doing a good job. When it brings people together for a common goal, it is fulfilling its mission as music. In church, the music should enhance the worship time and the spiritual experience for the community of believers. It should also touch lives and express the sublime, teaching and fostering a greater understanding of God.

So, we'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these Church Music Thoughts!

Keep up the good work. It is not easy planning and preparing for a Church Service that is both relevant to your younger members and respectful to your older members! I admire and respect the job you and all of our Church Music leaders do!

Sam