Sunday, March 03, 2013

The Pillow and Old Friends

It was an intense trip to El Paso and one with a mixture of emotions as we buried my mother's only sister. I was glad she was no longer suffering but I will miss her fun personality. She had been an important part of my life and although we were not regularly in contact, the connection was strong going back to my growing up years. Her battle with cancer was difficult and the family dynamics were complicated, but it was still great spending time with my cousin Alan and his lovely wife Shirley. We had a grand time talking about the old days and dealing with some related family business. Most of my brief trip was spent driving, flying, or eating and I left early on Sunday morning to return home (via a couple of hours at the Styx concert, but that is another story!).

When I got on the Boeing for the flight to DFW airport, in my seat was a pretty blue pillow, the type people use on planes to support their necks during trips. Assuming someone on a previous flight had left it there, I asked the person beside me if it belonged to him. He said no, so I placed it under the seat in front of me with my computer case.

As we taxied down the runway for the flight and I felt my eyelids get heavy, I glanced at the little blue pillow at my feet. Ignoring the warning bells going off in my head about potential lice or unknown germs from past usage, I picked it up and put it behind my neck. It felt comfortable and I gave brief thought to buying one or taking it with me when we landed. As we were about to liftoff, I looked over to my right, across the aisle, and saw an older lady staring at me. Curious as to her reasoning--maybe I looked odd or something--but not enough to ask, I nodded slightly and promptly went to sleep. My nap time was full of dreams of flying and of people staring at me, mixed with the earlier thoughts of family and the list of all my goals to accomplish in the next few days.

Upon waking up approximately 40 minutes later, I remembered the staring lady and again glanced to my right. This time the stare was palpable and obviously full of derision. My curiosity was quickly replaced with apprehension, and I decided to read a book and ignore the frightful stare and laser eyes that seemed to bore into me. I removed the pillow and placed it back at my feet. I then heard a gruff voice say, "Excuse me." I looked over at the lady, dreading whatever vitriol would come out of her mouth. She rather forcefully said, "Are you through using my pillow?" At a momentary loss for words, I somehow stammered out, "This is your pillow?" She said it was and I handed it to her with apologies and explained it was resting in my seat when I arrived. She said nothing further and the flight continued with no more evil stares. I supposed she had placed it there as she was getting settled in her seat when I arrived to get settled in mine. Whatever the case, she obviously thought I was trying to steal her pillow.

I found myself laughing over the incident and my own impudence at assuming I could use the pillow. I also thought about her thoughts as she watched me sleeping comfortably on her own pillow. It was all rather funny in a way, but I do hope never to see the lady again!

As I sat in the airport waiting for the next flight and hoping not to see the frightening lady again, I saw a former Stanton student walk by with her two cute children. She is now a financial analyst and seemed very happy. It was great to see her and always a joy to meet up with former students. She was an All-State horn player from many years ago. One of these days, I will try to list all the former horn students who made the All-State band. Great list of people!


No comments: