Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Joys of Walking

Each day for over 3 months I walked 5-6 miles as a regular part of the culture of London. At first it felt unrelenting and painful, almost unfair, why do we have to walk this much when then city of London has one of the greatest public transportation systems in the world? For a few weeks, I spent a great amount of time mapping out my route to include buses and tubes to avoid the excessive walking. And yet, it did not seem to matter what I did, walking was the norm. Eventually, however, I came to tolerate it and finally to love it. Walking London was life, and the joy I felt from walking was impenetrable.

But upon my return to Texas, I stopped walking. My truck smiled when I got in it again and seemed to enjoy my presence, to which I responded in kind by accommodating its happiness. In other words, I returned to my non-walking, drive everywhere world. But I missed my walking world.

Granted, I am a runner of sorts--nothing extreme really, just 3-5 miles every other day. Sometimes more sometimes less. In fact, a run of more than 5 miles leaves me chair bound the rest of the day. Walking any distance at all after running 6 or 7 miles results in pure pain in all parts of the body. Yet, in spite of the running, I felt generally unhealthy due to the sedentary lack of walking. Running is a focused physical activity, not intended for casual contemplation of the joys of the world. Walking is more contemplative, relaxed, and holistic. Yet my Texas life is one of driving without walking, of looking through glass, of changing the radio station, and of searching for parking places. None of the activities are especially satisfying.

Deliberating on this problem, I am now trying a new approach to transportation. I am parking my truck a considerable distance from the target goal, whether that be a grocery store, the postoffice, the bank, or work. And the practice is paying off in ways I least expected. Perhaps it is the hat (few people wear hats other than baseball caps) or perhaps it is the computer case that is often hanging from my shoulder, or perhaps it is just the sight of somebody walking, but for whatever reason, my walking is gaining friendships. Cars slow down (shocking, I know), some honk, most people wave, and I often hear people tell me they saw me crossing the street or walking across the parking lot. Is walking a social engagement of some kind?

Yes it does take a little more time to get places now, and yes I have a harder time convincing those who travel with me of the benefits of this practice, but I still believe the gain is greater than the pain (aside from the occasional hurt feet that is). I love the outdoors, I love the pace of a brisk walk, I love seeing the world around me, and I love the mild endorphin surge that I feel. I may not keep my walking practice indefinitely, but for now, it is fun and I plan to continue.

No comments: