Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Book completed, new one started

Finally completed and published my book about Joel. It is called Like a Crown: Adventures in Autism. It can be purchased from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or Authorhouse. A person can buy a hardback, paperback, or a digital download for Kindle. I expect to be worth a few million in about 500 years!

Onward to more projects and goals. What are your goals? I want to write another non-fiction book about the changes in the music world and how that affects music curriculum. I'm sure it will be another bestseller. Also am starting a work of fiction and am starting my Masters in Business Administration. Of course I have several pieces of music to write and a job as Dean. All great fun and keeps life interesting.

Trying to run 4-5 miles every other day but the body is not cooperating all that well with sore feet and legs that do not seem to move very quickly. I really do not feel tired until about the 3rd or 4th step! The days of pushups and weight training are long gone due to a sore shoulder but running is still going fairly well. I like staying in shape. It has been said that the more energy you use, the more you will have.

Still missing my London world of walking 5 miles a day and eating fresh food. Also miss the cathedrals, museums, galleries, concerts, shows, and breathless excitement of surviving each intersection. I miss hopping on a bus or descending the escalator for the tube, or seeking out a quicker way to get to the next destination. I miss the bread, the juice, the coffee, and the fish and chips. I miss seeing people reading books and newspapers and I miss walking down the street and hearing a guitar player or saxophone player or seeing a juggler or hearing an opera singer. I miss blending in and being a Londoner in a culture of nondescript anonymity that results in a form of independence and self-reliance. Nobody was interested in me, sad but comforting as well.

But I do not miss the lack of bathrooms nor do I miss the constant cigarette smoking of many Londoners. I wish I could say I miss the odd people I encountered in London but Texas has its share of oddities as well. Of course it takes one to know one...enough said on that. I do miss the sounds of the city but I also love the sounds of the Texas country. Music is all around us and takes on many forms and expressions. Never ignore the magnificent sounds that exist in nature and in the world.

Speaking of sounds, what is with the grasshoppers this year? You can hear them jumping and falling and eating. Big and awkward looking rascals. Sort of miniature dry-land Loch Ness monsters taking over the bushes, grass, and trees. Weird creatures for sure and unfriendly in spite of their desire to be near humans.

Watched a little Bonanza today. Little Joe sure was a hot-head at times but Adam remained the wise older brother. Good show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you posting again! Congratulations on the new book!

Sam