Sunday, February 05, 2012

LP XVIII--Church and Music


On this London day the ground is filled with snow, the air is cold but clear, and there is a feeling of wintry wonderment in the people. Transportation is limited today but our legs are still working for a brisk, brief walk to a nearby church. We walk to the back of St. George's Bloomsbury Anglican church but are unable to get in until we find the front steps. Built in 1731, the beautiful church uses typical archways, stonework, and a stunning wood altar as part of its architecture. Very tall with a large chandelier hanging down, the church has the kind of warm, resonant acoustics often found in stone cathedrals.

As we walk in, an energetic young man with little hair meets us at the door and tells us that the weather has prevented the organist from coming, therefore we would be singing unaccompanied. I smile at him and with a little trepidation resulting from my years of agreeing to things that I really have no business doing, I say, "I cannot play the organ, but I do play a little piano." He says "Oh, please play for us today."

We walk quickly to the grand piano in the corner, he shows me the three hymns to play and three minutes later, the service begins. I am shaking partly from the cold and mostly from the fear, but if I can serve in some small way, it is best to do so using something that I know--music. With that thinking, I thank the Lord for the honor and the opportunity to help and then I dive in praying for my fingers to work properly. The service was typically Anglican with prayers, hymns, speaking, and Communion. Far from perfect, I am adequate as a pianist and do my best. All were appreciative after the service and my heart (but not my body) warmed from the experience. Time for traditional carvery of roast beef.

A great nap after lunch and I am going for a walk in the slush. Walking by the same church, I glance over and realize a woodwind quintet is performing an afternoon recital. Quickly heading in, I sit down and listen. Outstanding ensemble with amazing technique and beautiful musical expression. They are playing the Taffanel, followed by Elliot Carter, and ending with a fun but crazy difficult piece by Paul Patterson. What a great group.

A nice light Italian dinner of peas, red peppers, mushrooms, prawns, and rice with some garlic bread and I am happy. Time to grade some papers, email some friends, and read some more Charles Dickens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Are you in Heaven or London?