Friday, December 23, 2011

Mild Altercation

Relaxing in the motel lobby in Denton, Texas and eating a lame breakfast of yogurt, a bagel, and a cup of coffee, I witnessed an awkward altercation between two people. On the surface, the disagreement dealt with what to watch on the television while we were eating breakfast, but the underlying current was more politically motivated.

A moment for my feelings about television. I enjoy a good show occasionally and do find myself watching a good sports game at times. Rarely making it through an entire football game without falling asleep, I do think the opportunity to watch television is a luxury we all tend to take for granted. Getting to watch a show or a game that is taking place several thousand miles away is remarkable in many ways and something that did not occur for our grandparents many years ago. I also enjoy a good movie (nothing like Rio Bravo on a Saturday afternoon!) and do enjoy the old and the new Hawaii Five-O. Televsion is entertaining, relaxing, informative, and fun for everyone. But I must say that it really does not matter to me at all. If we had no television, I would be fine. In fact, part of me often wonders if the world would be better without television. If it is on, I am happy to watch it, but if not, I do not miss it. It is not a need for a meaningful life and has little bearing on anything other than some information and entertainment.

Back to the event. Much of what followed I missed and learned about later. Apparently an elderly man of around 75 asked a couple in the room if they would mind watching a different channel. We were watching CNN news and the elderly man wanted to see Fox News. The husband quickly and rather loudly said no which I did hear. In retrospect, I am wondering why I wasn't asked my opinion. Probably because I was working on the computer at the time and showed no interest in the television! Anyway, the man who refused to allow the change was about 50 plus and built like a tank. Very large with a military haircut and a physical confidence often associated with violent potential and battle experience. He was a bully, not unlike the kind we found on the playground many years ago. After the loud refusal, the elderly man politely said "okay, sorry to bother you."

The bully then proceeded to call him an idiot and said that he and people like him were ruining our country. I suppose he was referring to the desire for the elderly man to see Fox News rather than CNN. The bully stood up and followed the man back to his seat and proceeded to threaten him with a lawsuit and to make disparaging comments about his viewing habits. The elderly man said nothing and did not make eye contact. Just as it appeared as though the bully would make a physical move to attack, he backed off and left. It all happened very quickly and in retrospect, I wish I had come to the defense of the elderly man. Since I was not entirely sure of the inital cause of the altercation, I was not sure which side to support. At the moment, I did not know if the two men had a prior relationship nor did I know why one of them appeared upset. But in thinking about the incident, regardless of my opinions about the show and regardless of the man's request, nobody should bully another person.

Is television worth this kind of behavior? Does it really matter at all what show is on television? Should someone request a change in a public lobby? After all, who really cares about it? Well, I guess some people do and I suppose it is important to some. Should I have jumped to the defense of the elderly gentleman in spite of not understanding what was happening? I think so. After the bully left, I approached the gentleman and asked what happened. He explained to me about the show. He was fighting back the tears and seemed genuinely frightened. I felt my anger rise and wish I had confronted the bully. He might have pulverized me and sent me to kingdom come, but at least I would have protected the honor of the elderly man.

But it is easier to do nothing which is what I did. In the end, I recommend to all to put less stock in what is on the television and work to develop a cavalier, apathetic view of the show. Wars have been fought over property rights disputes and over religious and poltical differences. No war is justified and no hotel lobby battle can have a winner. All lose and in this case, all did.

No comments: