Monday, September 05, 2011

Talking about health problems--redirection.

Whine, whine, whine. That's what I feel like doing sometimes when I talk about my health problems. Not that they are serious, life-threatening, or debilitating problems. No, they are just nagging pains here and there that are fairly common to everyone. Granted it seems as though more of them showed up after I turned 50. But I have noticed the tendency for me and others to discuss our health problems more as we get older. This may be because there are more of them, or it could be that life has changed--kids are grown, settled in jobs, comfortable in our homes, and that these elements of security ironically exaggerate the other issues.

When we add aging to stability along with the proliferation of medical advice found on television and the internet we have a "perfect storm" of elements that cause those of us over the age of 50 to focus on our own health problems. And of course they are MY problems and I have a right to whine about them and share those problems with others if I so choose. Since we are mostly a self-centered bunch and since the word "I" is one of the most common words in our vocabulary, it stands to reason we would expend great energy discussing our own problems. I want everyone to know about me after all!

Try an experiment sometime. Ask everyone in a group to express something about himself or herself that hurts or is a problem. Aside from the momentary intrusion, which most of us quickly get over, we are eager to share our problems with others, at least unless the problems create social issues. I am reminded of the Far Side comic where a dog admits to having worms. The caption says, "Dog social blunders!" It is wise to avoid subjects that are severly private but it is also wise to avoid minor or innocuous problems such as the scrape on your knee or the sore elbow. And yet, it is sort of fun to whine about the general pains--feet, shoulder, back or whatever. Perhaps I could expend some time discussing my balding problem or knobby knees or a lack of earlobes or any number of anomalies on my person. Before becoming too righteous however, I should point out that sometimes people have a strong suggestion for improvement. Life's experiences are great teachers and those experiences should be shared and not hidden under a bush.

But it is time to eradicate my inherent selfishness--no talking about my health problems. No sharing of my sore feet or my sore shoulder or my occasional lack of sleep or even my expanding waistline due to a lack of running because of the feet problems. This week is not about me. Instead it is a time to focus on others and their problems. Maybe more outward concern will redirect the personal problems and hide them from myself! Doubtful but worth a try. Unfortunately it is hard to hide the limping due to the soreness of the heel caused from running. But it is worth a try. If someone says to me, "How are you?" should I lie? Or maybe a quick nod and a return of "Great, and how are you?" would be appropriate.

Onward to fewer health discussions about me and more discussions about others. In truth, my problems are pretty minor compared to some I know. Perhaps if I weren't so darn selfish I might actually be able to help someone else. Redirection can only be a positive step toward altruism and sincere concern for others. But before actuating my philosophy of the week, I must express irritation with my feet and my shoulder. Darn those pains!

No comments: