Sunday, February 13, 2011

Texas Music Educators Assocation Convention

It came and went and what a glorious experience once again. Thousands of musicians gather to experience music in every form and fashion. Elementary music teachers, parents, college students, professionals, high school band directors, choir directors, jazz musicians, church musicians, ethnomusicologists, hymnologists, and every kind of ist in music! On the floor in the exhibit hall we saw clothes, food, sheet music, technology, keyboards, and every kind of instrument. Plus music products ranging from huge towers down to the latest in flash drives.

There is something for everyone at this convention and it makes me proud to be a Texas music educator. I saw friends from my Louisiana days, my public school teaching days, my church world, my school world, and even my time as a professional musician. I visited with conductors, elementary music teachers, professionals, and fellow composers. I heard harps, saxophones, orchestras, choirs, pianists, and several bands.

Wow--The Swingle Singers. What a remarkable concert that was. Precise, beautiful, energetic, fun, deep, and mostly enchanting, The Swingle Singers continue their journey toward the musical sublime. What an absolute treat!

It was different seeing my friend the biologist Jack Stanford. He was there helping his son who manages a large music store. Also visited with my good friend over at Hardin-Simmons Lawson Hager. He is such a class act and will be retiring soon. Almost seems like the end of era with his retirement.

Also spent some time with my good friend George Strickland, a fine Christian man and one of the officers of University Interscholastic League. He is quite a person and I consider myself fortunate to call him a friend.

We had a terrific evening at our alumni reception honoring two wonderful people, George and Sara Baker. We presented them with a plaque and a beautiful scrapbook. They are very deserving of our time and it was our privilege to spend a few minutes acknowledging their illustrious time at Howard Payne University.

I further enjoyed my time in Phi Beta Mu, a professional band fraternity. I was reminded of the noble and illustrious calling to be a music educator. What a great profession. Unlike some jobs, I get to do that which I love--music.

Proud of my student Karley. She is just a freshman in high school but she made the top all-state group this year. I am thinking the whole thing made her nervous but I am still quite proud of her accomplishments.

It was especially rewarding to see many, many friends and share our common bond of music. Lots of smiles and good feelings this year. Kind of felt like a big group hug of musicians! Reminds all of us that the daily grind of teaching and performing has a higher calling and a greater purpose. Our interconnected world is not just our own but is part of a larger whole.

No comments: