Saturday, April 05, 2008

My week

Last week was a tough one and rather complicated by several events. It started last weekend when Joel, who was in a talking mood and sharing many of his thoughts and ideas, began planning his future. He mentioned playing the organ in a church, perhaps going to school, working in a library, and having a family. We have heard these thoughts before and always try to offer support but also try to steer him in positive directions. But as he talked about having a family and wanting 3 children (sometimes it is 6!) he blurted out that he didn't want them to be like him. That his children would be "normal."

We were shocked to hear that sentiment from him and were not sure how to respond. With a typical human response of avoidance, we changed the subject and went on to discuss less potentially excrescent topics such as what was for dinner. But the comment has remained with me all week. In a rare moment of lucidity, Joel expressed a deep fear and self-awareness. I have decided to think more on this problem and be more sensitive to his self-esteem.

The recently announced cuts of various programs around our school--not unusual in today's economy incidentally--did affect people's lives in negative ways. This has made me appreciate the many blessings that I have but has also increased my empathy for the personal insecurity caused by economic hardship. I have found myself in prayer for those without employment and it is my belief that God has a purpose and plan for them.

But not everything has been filled with emotional anguish for I had the great pleasure of conducting a band rehearsal, orchestra rehearsal, and a choir rehearsal--all in one week! What fun I had preparing the music, working with students, improving the sound, the phrase, the balance, the technique, and mostly doing what I absolutely love--making music. My analytical side would like to discuss the differences in the three organizations and make some recommendations on how to approach each one, but my emotional side simply wants to express the pure enjoyment and golden opportunity to direct these three music ensembles.

In addition, my youngest son played a recording of Rachmaninoff's 2nd symphony. As I listened to the remarkably beautiful 3rd movement, I was struck by its exquisite blend of expressive phrasing and dramatic intent. The almost relentless power and beauty of this movement stayed with me throughout this difficult week, causing my respect and admiration for Rachmaninoff's music to increase.

My week ended with a couple of normal concerns about scheduling conflicts. This is really nothing new but I always wish there were more hours in the day and that I could make everyone happy. Sometimes, though, it is just impossible to meet everyone's scheduling needs. I think this is part of what administration is all about. In addition, two students came to me to explain their recent affliction. I suppose the doctor next to my name can be deceiving to some people needing medical attention. After hearing about their disease and momentarily sympathizing, I looked up this terrible problem in the medical dictionary to see if I could recommend an appropriate treatment or at the very least refer the students to a physician. To my shock, there was no mention of this disease in the desk reference and therefore no treatment.

So to the students who come down with this bug they are calling "SENIORITIS", I want to recommend a couple of things: 1) Work harder not less, 2) Apathy is unbecoming to a professional, and 3) A good attitude is the antibiotic that will battle and defeat this particular disease. The prescription is free and available to all!

Congratulations must be extended to Professor Stephen Goacher for the release of his CD called "Leaving a Testimony." Although it may not receive the same national acclaim as winning a national title, it does represent years of hard work on woodwind instruments and a God given opportunity to be shining light for Him. To buy a CD, contact Mr. Goacher at : sgoacher@hputx.edu It is an outstanding CD that I believe everyone will enjoy.

So my week is done and tomorrow starts another one. I think it will be better and I think I will continue to listen to Professor Goacher's CD as well as more Rachmaninoff.

No comments: