Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Salt Lake City trip

I just returned from a trip to Salt Lake City, Utah, where music executives from institutions all over the country gathered for a National Association of Schools of Music convention. When I was not in meetings or sessions involving music assessment or strategic planning, I walked about the city to experience the culture, visit the bookshops, see the visitors center at the Temple, and attend a concert. Thoroughly enjoying the environment of friendly people, warm smiles, thoughtful actions, and helpful attitudes, I found myself going from place to place full of a natural curiosity born from a blending of pragmatism and idealism that makes me wonder about the past and future of objects, events, and people. It is always a joy to dwell on where someone or something has been but it is pure fun to project potential and to anticipate what the future holds.

So I wandered about and wondered about all that I could see and began to think on all I could not see as I experienced this new and special world of Salt Lake City. The bookstores had that anticipated smell and feel of old books, yellowing pages, dusty covers, and the mystery of the wisdom of the ages one finds and experiences in libraries and old bookstores. I was mesmerized by the volume of books old and new, fiction and non-fiction, and not surprised to see an emphasis on books referencing geneaology and Mormon history as well as journals, bibliographies, and encyclopedias.

Each store was a treasure of surprise and expansiveness belying its narrow entry point and unassuming appearance. One antique store in particular had a narrow wooden door that opened into a small room filled with old furniture that caused created a sense of claustrophobia and discomfort. While my inclination was to smile at the proprietor and leave quickly, I decided to proceed further to see what magic may appear. To my surprise another narrow opening led to a cavernous room filled with a wide assortment of antiques, books, musical instruments, artifacts, jewelry, and an endless number of collectibles for anyone's interest level. While days could be spent in the store, it was time to move on. A quick stop at a violin making shop was enlightening as was a brief conversation with a homeless man seeking some financial help to ride the tram.

Up the street was the famous Cathedral of the Madeleine, a stunning work of architecture with a spectacular display of sculpture, color, archways, and aesthetic beauty that was breathless, in a dizzying display of religious iconography guaranteed to elicit an emotional response from even the most objective personality. A wooden floor, a grand piano, a large pipe organ with trumpet pipes, a tall ceiling, inlaid wooden sculpted plates, stained glass windows, and marble cenotaphs, all come together to form one of the most magnificent structures I have ever experienced. Although not Roman Catholic, I felt led to light a candle as I prayed and reflected on God's plan for me, my family, the world at large.

Prior to entering the Mormon Tabernacle for a concert of the music of William Walton with the combined choirs and orchestra of Brigham Young University the University of Utah in the Mormon Temple, I decided to enter the visitors center at Temple Square. I was moved by the stunning religious art, the refined atmosphere, the domesticity of the furnishings, and the juxtaposition of old and new, including modern technology used to introduce and embrace the past. The general friendly and cordial atmosphere of the people was infectious, inviting, and strangely comforting as I toured this facility in curiosity and wonder at the Mormon world and its obvious influence on so many.

The Tabernacle itself was beautiful and the music was performed with great accuracy and musical expression from the beginning to the end. The person I sat beside mentioned he attended at least one concert each week and loved all of them. It was a great experience and one I would like to have again someday.

While most of my time was spent in professional sessions related to music and administration, my most pleasant memories are of the city itself and the time with friends. On this Thanksgiving day, I give thanks to God for the many blessings, my family, my friends, and the goodness He has imparted to us.

1 comment:

Landry, Renée, and Baby Girl!!! said...

i'm curious:

when you write...do you write things based on how you feel? i mean, are you inspired by your emotions or reactions to a given situation? do you intend to express a certain thought or deeply rooted idea?

or do you write just to write? do you base your writings on facts? do you write because you enjoy fitting sentences together in an intelligent way?

comment me back at my blog....just click my name...

i like reading your posts...i love to read, period... i just sometimes get curious how other 'bloggers' approach their posts.