Sunday, January 14, 2007

Region Clinician

After completing my 31st Region band as a clinician/director, I have decided to share some of the techniques I use to help make the experience successful. As in most things in my life, I tend to learn the hard way--by making mistakes and trying something new until it works. I have also gained from watching others and gleaning from them the ideas that work (and rejecting the ones that don't!). I continually dedicate myself to providing an enjoyable, educational, and mostly a musical experience for the students and for the audience. I am reminded of the statement by Teddy Roosevelt, "It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things."

A region band or district band, sometimes called an honor band, is a group of students from several schools who were selected as part of audition process to participate in a series of rehearsals leading to a performance. The quality of the students is generally high and the desire for excellence is often quite obvious. The directors of a particular region or geographical area select a director to come in and clinic or direct the band. Usually the clinician selects the music to be performed based on the general level of the group of students. I have had the honor to direct and clinic top bands from large schools, lower bands from large schools, top bands from small schools, and many junior high bands from all over the state. While directing a top band from large schools is musically rewarding, the true test comes from directing a lower band and working to achieve a high level of performance.

Each band is unique and presents different challenges and qualities that make the experience memorable for everyone. The director can usually expect that some players--and not always the ones at the top of the section--are better than others. But it is valuable to negate those differences by pointing out the worth of every single player and his or her contribution to the good of the whole. This concept in turn, takes away the "hot dog or show-off" who is trying to demonstrate superiority. This idea leads easily to the "let's work together" teamwork idea of making music that ultimately creates good will and positive emotions throughout the rehearsals and performance.

At the same time, the director must assert his authority in the process. Because they are often sight-reading the music and having to learn in a short time, the students are not comfortable watching the director and would prefer to keep their eyes on the music. It becomes necessary for the director to insist on watching him. The warm-up time is an optimum time to present this concept and remind students to continue watching throughout the clinic. Following the director insures steadiness of tempo, sensitivity to dynamics, shaping of the phrase, and balance of melody versus non-melody. We make music together but the leader provides guidance and direction by setting the parameters for the performance.

Part of the director's responsibility is to insure the students enjoy themselves but also learn something in the process. To that end, I work to teach to a high level but also make sure everyone understands the concepts presented. I like a fast-paced rehearsal filled with musical examples, analogies, stories, and lots of playing. I rarely "trim" the music and I always encourage the greatest effort in tone, technique, and style. Mostly, I try to learn from the students in the process and leave them loving all kinds of music and enjoying their experience. They sacrifice time and energy to be in a Region Band. It is always worth it and I benefit and learn every time I get to direct.

Probably the key to the band is the program selected. I think I will deal with that another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a "Southwestern Musician" article to me!