Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sofa named Sol-fa!

It all began at the factory as I slowly but surely self-actualized into a sofa. Like others similar to my ilk, I had little personality and no character until it was decided I would be covered with cloth and with a color unique to me—an off-red, burgundy rust color, a color with personality, not too bright or ostentatious but with a depth of intelligence not immediately discernible but obviously urbane and sophisticated. The finishing touches were made with two matching pillows and I was shipped off to a large store in Brownwood, Texas where I resided for several months.

At first I was excited to be in my new surroundings where the climate was generally comfortable and I had friends. But soon my friends disappeared and were replaced with more friends who again were purchased and the cycle continued as I remained in place. I become somewhat lonely and withdrawn as I sat on the floor being admired but never purchased. Sort of a bridesmaid, but never a bride. I began to doubt myself and question my appearance. Was I ugly, uncomfortable, or too unique to ever fit in anywhere? My confidence began to dissipate and I felt alone, destined for a bland life on the floor of a store where eventually I would be placed in a back room—a cemetery of unwanted furniture.

Then one day it happened. At first it seemed an ordinary day of being touched and even sat upon, but then lingering discussion filled me with hope and took away my despair and my fear of eternal loneliness. The conversation was warm, positive, excited, energetic, and even a little garrulous! Loved, wanted, admired, and eventually purchased was I. The next day I was delivered to a beautiful office at a University known for its academic integrity and Christian values. The office was full of music, books, poetry, and art. I had found a home and was happy. My new owner was full of gratitude for my presence and demonstrated care and nice treatment as he experimented with the best location.

He cleverly named me Sol-fa, an abbreviation of solfeggio, which is a play on words since this name references singing syllables used in music education. I am honored to have this name and honored to be in this office. I could not have found a better home. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So reminiscent of the story of the little Christmas tree that was never chosen. Sol-fa is indeed fortunate and lucky to become a part of the family of musicians that will grace its position for many years. May Sol-fa feel so honored that the best musicians, friends, family will have the privilege of making it feel welcome in the days to come.