Sunday, November 19, 2006

Culinary Courage

I have embarked on a new adventure of culinary experiences. It began in South Carolina as I decided to eat escargot, otherwise known as snails. The 8 little critters arrived on a small plate each within its own dimpled cup not unlike a deviled egg plate. In their former life, the snails were vital and slow moving creatures with limited but useful purpose. Their diet consisted of plants and dirt and their prodigious production of mucus allowed them to maneuver across even the most dangerous of pathways. Yet they had become fodder for me on this particular evening.

The chef covered them in butter, garlic, and cheese, served them on a silver platter and I ate them without hesitation and with much zeal. Later I learned that because snails eat dirt and decay, they can be toxic to humans unless they enter a period of fasting and purging prior to their demise. As I reflect on this, I am hoping my snails fasted appropriately and meaningfully! They were indeed delicious and I look forward to yet another opportunity to partake in their unusual but appetizing pemmican. Never mind that my friend pointed that virtually anything covered in butter, garlic, and cheese is tasty.

Less than a week later, I found myself in a sushi bar eating raw fish and eel. I allowed the sushi bar manager to create a dish of sushi "greatest hits" for me in the hopes I would receive a wide variety of delectable sushi treats. And I was not disappointed. Raw fish and eel of various types adorned my plate with a garnish of parsley, an edible orchid, a spot of ginger and some horseradish. In appearance it was creative, colorful, and consummate without being excessively baroque or affected. The sushi was excellent--smooth, gentle, tasty, and palatable with an aperitive flavor. I savored each morsel carefully since I rarely get sushi where I live.

I must admit, however, that I remain somewhat suspicious that rather than providing great taste, eating sushi and an entire lounge devoted to sushi is a bourgeois excuse for bragging rights. The ability to say "I ate sushi and escargot" gains a begrudging respect from those who simply don't want to try. The environment of the lounge was modern with odd lighting, contemporary art, and background music that bordered on the "new age" with hints of current popular idioms in the accompaniment. It makes me wonder if the idea of sushi is greater than the reality.

Yet, I do not wish to discount the unusual and tasty qualities of sushi and escargot. Although not as forward tasting as rattlesnake, nor as wild tasting as alligator, and certainly not as delicate as turtle, sushi and escargot deserve their place among the elite of foods. While this is not something I want for every meal, I did enjoy my experience and look forward to further opportunities to test my culinary courage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased that eating odd strange food does not make one contaminated, in other words, thank you Lord that I cannot get the "disease' simply by being in close proximity to the orginator of this blog. I would not want my internal organs saturated by such as snails, eel, turtle, rattlesnake, and whatever other unusual creatures inhabit the land.

Anonymous said...

Bourgeois is correct. You and your capitalist, consumerist appetite will soon find yourself at the mercy of such creatures in the apocalypse to come! Beware, I say! Beware! Look now, as the snails, eels and all of their mucolic progeny seek to devour you from the inside out...

EAT MOR' CHIKIN!

Landry, Renée, and Baby Girl!!! said...

You are so brave. A snail to me is nothing more than a slug in a shell. And you are the perfect candidate to try something like that. You shame any attempts of mine at being 'culinarily' adventuresome.

I'll just stick to chicken...and the occasional alligator, of course. ;)